Sunday, May 17, 2015

Blackened Tilapia Fish Tacos with Mango Slaw



Fish tacos are one of the healthy meals my husband will eat without fuss. The kids will eat the components separately, and I can eat about a million of them ;)

I volunteered to make supper for the in-laws the other night, so I thought I would throw these together in the hopes that it would make everyone happy. I served the fish tacos alongside some roasted zucchini and red pepper. For dessert, I mixed up some simple strawberry shortcakes with a little key lime cheesecake yogurt.  

They were a hit, so I thought I would share my recipe here. I will write up the shortcakes next week.


Blackened Tilapia Fish Tacos with Mango Slaw

Serves 6

12 corn tortillas
6 fillets of tilapia (I buy frozen and thaw in the sink)
1 recipe of my blackening seasoning (recipe HERE - I just keep it on hand in the cabinet)
Fresh or dried cilantro, to taste
Optional - thinly sliced avocado, limes

1 bag shredded cabbage or coleslaw veggie mix
1/2 mango, diced
1/4 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt (you could also use mayo)
3 tbsp sweetener of choice (I used stevia)
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp vinegar (I used mango Balsamic vinegar)
dash of salt and pepper 


In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sweetener, lime juice, and vinegar. Toss with cabbage or coleslaw mix and diced mango until coated. This can be made the night before and stored in the fridge.

Preheat a large non-stick grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Season each side of the tilapia fillets with blackening seasoning and cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side.

Heat up the corn tortillas. Divide each fillet between 2 tortillas and top with approximately 1/4 cup mango coleslaw. Top with a slice of avocado and squeeze of lime juice, if desired. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!







Nutritional stats per serving

(1/6 of recipe, excludes avocado)

299 calories

3 g fat

37 g carbs

29 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment