Monday, March 17, 2014

Fast Fit Food- Eating on the Go

This past week, we visited Angel Fire, NM for spring break. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

 




And that sums up my feelings today when I got back to "real life"... I loved watching the snow fall out of the cabin window!


Anyway, on the coming and going (and at my friend Tracey's request too!) I thought that I would share my favorite "on the go" foods. Both drive through and what I pack for a road trip.

Up first, what I pack in the car to go.

My top 3 travel items that go into the car


1) Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe Protein Bars

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Protein-Chocolate-Deluxe-Value/dp/B002XULC70/ref=sr_1_1/175-3525976-6946943?ie=UTF8&qid=1395096059&sr=8-1&keywords=pure+protein+chocolate+deluxe
At 180 calories and 20g of protein per bar, these tasty bars feel like a candy bar. I usually have one as my daily snack.

2) Jack Link's Teriyaki Beef Jerky




And I pack this huge size bag, because the whole family loves this stuff. A 1 oz serving is 80 cals and 14 g of protein. Beef crack.

3) Apples

 

http://www.forevergracephotography.com/

A medium apple is around 70 cals and filling. Love the Pink Lady variety- crisp and sweet.


My top 3 drive through fast food items


1) McDonald's Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken and Newman's Own Southwest Dressing

 

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.salads.88.Premium-Southwest-Salad-with-Grilled-Chicken.html
 

*standing ovation* BRAVO McDonald's!! Finally, a fast food meal I look FORWARD to and can get just about anywhere I travel in the US. With the dressing, the salad is a fililng 390 calories with 28g of protein, 14 g of fat, and 39 g of carbs.

2) Taco Bell Taco Salad without the shell, salsa for dressing

 

http://www.tacobell.com/food/menuitem/Fiesta-Taco-Salad
By forgoing the shell and salsa instead of dressing, you can easily save 350-500 calories. So pretend that picture has no shell. Go ahead and order it without the shell too while you are at it, too tempting! And get lots of salsa on the side for dressing.  And pretty much any taco/burrito joint has this option, not just Taco Bell. If you choose a standard beef taco salad as above sans the shell, you are looking around 420 calories and 24 g of protein. Fat comes in around 21 g and carbs around 33 g. I often get grilled chicken instead and save a few cals if I am in the mood. Some burrito places have extra veggies to fill out your salad like grilled peppers and onions :) do not be shy about adding them!

3) Chickfila Grilled Market Salad

 

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Salad-Detail/ChickfilA-Grilled-Market-Salad
Chickfila has MANY standout options including a grilled chicken sandwich and a side of fruit. And do not get me started on their diet lemonade. PURE BLISS. Bless your heart if you do not have one of these fine establishments around! So this salad is my favorite in their line up. I like to add the Reduced Fat Berry Balsamic Dressing with it. The salad is 180 calories, 4 g of fat, 13g of carbs, and 25 g of protein. If you add the Berry Dressing, it is another 110 cals, 4g of fat, and 20g of carbs.


Obvously, I have a salad fetish. So those are my "on the run" picks. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment