Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Simple Seafood Paella


I saw a lady on a cooking show make Paella one time years ago. It looked so good! I have wanted to make it every since then but thought it might be too complicated. And I knew I would have to make it sometime when we had a crowd because it made enough food to feed a small army.

My day finally came last weekend! We had some of our dear neighbor friends coming over to eat lunch with us, and I knew we needed to have Paella.

On the hunt at my little Texas Walmart (seriously that is the extent of our grocery choices) I was disheartened that there was NO Spanish chorizo or Spanish rice! The saffron was out of the question at $17 too. So I had to make due with what I could find. And you know what? It was pretty darn tasty and the substitutes that I found made it actually pretty darn cheap and lower calorie too!
I got to use my Disk we ordered online from Blue Moon- http://bluemoondisk.com/


 

Simple Seafood Paella

Time: 35 min
Servings: 10
1 chicken thigh per person (I used 6 boneless/skinless)
2 cans of chicken broth
3 10 oz bags of yellow saffron rice (I used Mahatma brand pictured below)
1 lbs raw peeled and deveined shrimp (remove tails too if needed)
2 lbs mussels
(optional, 1 lbs clams and 1 lbs spansh chorizo)




Heat a large flat pan over med-high heat with 1-2 tbsp olive oil, add chicken thighs. Cook chicken about 7 minutes then flip. Cook another 5 minutes then add the rice. Sautee with chicken about 2 minutes until rice is translucent. Add 1 can of chicken broth. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes, adding the next can of chicken broth and water as needed.  Once the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, add the shrimp and mussels. The mussels should open, discard any unopened muscles. Cook until shrimp is no longer translucent.  


The yellow rice soaking up all that mussel liquid- YUM!


I served it to my guests with toasted buttery french bread. Steamed broccoli would be a nice accompaniment as well.

Nutrition Stats

(1 serving- 10 mussels, 8 shrimp, 1 chicken thigh, 1/3 cup rice)
Calories per serving: 427
  • Carbs 48g
  • Fat 19g
  • Protein 48g

1 comment: